HomePortalSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterFAQLog in
Latest topics
» New Site!
Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:31 pm by Mike

» Are You Guys Excited for the New Site!?
Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:02 am by Mike

» New Force Awakens trailer released!
Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:40 am by i-TheDestroyer-L

» Happy Birthday!!!~~~
Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:09 am by Guest

» Basic necessities for Battlefront
Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:09 pm by SG-17

» Infected and Boss
Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:11 am by Rugal

» Admin Changes
Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:14 am by Splinter

» DoomGaze
Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:47 am by Desperado

Top posters
{Delta}

Kratos

{BOT}A-Hole

Stern

Phantom

{ѕтя}σвℓινιση

Mike

Fir3hazard

SG-17

IcemaN

Share | 

How to Play SWBF2 after GameSpy Shutdown

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Mike
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: How to Play SWBF2 after GameSpy Shutdown   Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:28 am

I'll update this page with as much recent info as I can, feel free to link this page to everyone you know who plays the game. This guide is an ongoing WORK IN PROGRESS, stuff in red means I am not 100% certain on it yet.

7/26/14 UPDATE:Well, it looks like GameSpy has changed something on their end so that our PS2s cannot get the server list anymore. My PS2 froze when trying to use GameSpy. This is pretty stupid though because oddly enough though, the actual server list is still up. People are still hosting on the list and using GameMaster you can still join and play on servers that are still hosted on GameSpy.

12/3/15 UPDATE:Gamemaster has moved hosting locations so the numbers you need to use have changed. Since this is the old BFC site its been awhile since I have updated this. the new DNS numbers are 185.101.93.68 for Europe and 162.243.230.247 for North America. I am adding them into the guide now. Note that my screenshot is wrong now.

If GameSpy does actually shut off, we already have a way to play the game forever.

Thanks to our friends over at SWBF3.de a workaround has been created called GameMaster. The people responsible for this and those that helped me find them are Kalle, LeKeks, Kane, ReeN, Led, and DasTier. This is the website:
http://gameshare.co/gamemaster

Setup Guide For Players
This is very easy and only requires you to change one number in your network setting. It looks longer than it is because I was very detailed so no one makes a mistake.

As a starting note, to begin turn off your PS2. If your PS2 is already on and connected to SWBF2 multiplayer, you will not be able to access the menus we need to get to.

I'll keep this part as short and concise as I can for the people who aren't concerned with what we're doing and only want to get online working, you can read about how and why this works in the FAQ section.

• Turn on your PS2, start SWBF2 and get to the main menu
  • Select multiplayer, and select internet
  • Press X 'OK' to the first popup message
  • Press Square to Add/Edit a network setting
  • Wait for the network creation program to load then choose Add Setting
  • Select your memory card and start going through the process of picking the default options
  • Select your hardware, there should be only one option, your ethernet adaptor
  • Choose Not Required
  • Choose Auto for IP address
  • Choose Manual for DNS server address, this is the important part, its the only thing we are actually changing
  • Set the Primary DNS to 162.243.230.247 if you live in North America, or set Primary DNS to 185.101.93.68 if you live in Europe
  • Leave the Secondary DNS at 0.0.0.0
  • I need to update this screenshot but it should look like this except with the Primary DNS being either 185.101.93.68 or 162.243.230.247, the number in the screenshot is the old one:
  • Test the connection, it should be successful
  • Name the connection whatever you like, I called mine GameMaster
  • Save the connection
  • Press Circle and quit out of the Network Config program to return to the SWBF2 multiplayer menu
  • Chose internet and press 'OK' to the message
  • Select the internet option we just created, it will probably be number 2 make sure you pick the right one, if you pick your old one instead you will need to reset your PS2 to pick a different one
  • The connecting and menus are going to be slightly slower but everything should work the same
  • Choose Enter without logging in (GameSpy accounts aren't working yet, but they might be fixed later)
  • You should now be at the server list, you will see all of the usual servers, but if you did everything right you will also see a server called GameMaster PS2 test
  • If you able to see and join this server you have everything set up correctly to play this game after GameSpy attempts to shut it down.

Once this is all done, you should be able to play normally, the only thing that will be different for now is GameSpy login. For now, everyone will need to play without logging in. This isn't really a big deal as all it does is limit the length of your name slightly. I think its even possible for this to be fixed in the future but just being able to play without GameSpy is the main focus for now.

Setup Guide For Server Hosts
Hosting servers on the GameMaster list is similar to setting up your PS2 to be able to join, we have to change the list that the server is hosted on. I will try to cover the 3 main ways of hosting a server.

Hosting a paid-for PC dedicated server from a company like Hypernia:
I need more information about how Hypernia works with putting in server mods before I can fully complete this section. What I do know for now is that we need to upload a different version of battlefrontii.exe to the host company, and ask them to use it in place of the older one. I may need to do some talking with Hypernia about this.

Hosting a PC dedicated server from your computer:
There are 2 separate ways to do this. I will list them both here. For now I recommend doing the first option as I have more knowledge about how it works.
Option 1: Making a Change to BattlefrontII.exe
In order for our server to be hosted on the GameMaster list instead of the GameSpy one we need to make a change to the program we use to host servers called battlefrontii.exe. You can do this by downloading the new .exe file from the GameMaster site and using it to replace the old one. The small modifications made by the people at GameMaster will put your server on the new list. Here is the download link:
LINK COMING SOON

Wary People wrote:
But Mike, I don't wanna download an .exe and run it, I don't trust it BibleThump.
While it is perfectly reasonable to be wary about downloading .exe files, I can assure you that this is not harmful. Both myself and one other person have analyzed the differences between the normal .exe and GameMaster's updated version. All it does is redirect Gamespy.net to Gameshare.info. If you STILL don't believe me you can make the modifications yourself without ever having to download anything. You will to open battlefrontii.exe using a HEX editor and you will need to make these three changes. Make sure that you have your HEX editor setup in such a way that 0=null.
Code:
Find:
%s.ms%d.gamespy.com
Replace with:
%s%d.gameshare.info

Find:
%s.master.gamespy.com
Replace with:
%s.gameshare.info0000

Find:
%s.available.gamespy.com
Replace with:
%s.gameshare.info0000000
With this modification, your sever will be up on the GameMaster list.

Option 2: Using a Hosts file
Click Here to Show Option 2:

Creating a 4-man, aka a non-dedicated server hosted from your PS2:

• Preform the above player process from the first guide all the way, you should be able to join other GameMaster servers before doing this
  • After entering to online without logging in, choose Create
  • Choose your maps and options and launch the server
  • After the load screen you will be on a black screen, your PS2 is not frozen, after about 30-45 seconds the server will start
  • You may get a message saying host registration failed, but the server will just restart (with the black screen again) and you will be able to play without problems afterwards. The black screen may also occur between maps.

The makers of GameMaster have been told of the black screen issue and it will most likely be resolved. This same thing would happen when using OpenSpy, and they were able to resolve it with an update. So, I'm confident this is an issue than can be fixed on their end. Regardless hosting a 4-man still works, it just takes a bit longer to start.

Last edited by Mike on Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:26 pm; edited 43 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mike
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: How to Play SWBF2 after GameSpy Shutdown   Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:28 am

FAQ, Other Options, Special Thanks

Frequently Asked Questions
Why is this important?
Click Here for Answer:

How does this all work?
Click Here for Answer:

What are the downsides of using this compared the old GameSpy?
Click Here for Answer:

How did you figure out all of this stuff?
Click Here for Answer:

Other Options
All of these are basically non-functional at the moment. But I thought it would be important for me to post all of the information I've gathered about the other work-arounds here so that anyone can have access to it.
OpenSpy:
OpenSpy needs updates but it could potentially work. Their C++ coder has left and they don't have anyone working on updates. I believe it still works for SWBF1 and some other games, but the server list on SWBF2 will not load as of May 1st, 2014. If you know C++, take a look at the github links I posted and you might want to get in contact with them. They are definitely looking for someone. I personally don't know C++ but I know a few friends who have some experience in it. This may be worth getting up and running as a plan B, and its also cool that it works for other games. In theory it functions pretty much the same as GameMaster so it would work fine if it was actually configured for us.
Relevant OpenSpy links:
http://www.openspy.net
https://github.com/sfcspanky/Openspy-Core
https://github.com/Masaq-/Openspy-Core
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aP4OYwwRwA8
https://www.facebook.com/openspy
https://twitter.com/frostyhawkng
https://twitter.com/GMolsonCHC
FreeGST
Very similar to OpenSpy and GameMaster, just involves a DNS change and the servers being on a new list. The developers are currently uninterested in supporting PS2. I feel like I could convince them otherwise, given that they seem to be misinformed about how many players we have, and that it would be simple to support PS2 if PC compatibility is already up and running. They may not want to put the effort in to configure it on their end. No point in pursuing this for now.
Relevant FreeGST links:
http://freegst.org
http://swgohome.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6297

xlink
Requires additional downloads and lots of extra configuration. Much more involved than simply changing one DNS number. Also requires a different setup of an ethernet cable going first through your computer, and then to your router. Has the potential to work but it needs more people to test it out. Lots of people currently use this to play SOCOM 2. I have no idea what hosting on this would be like, or if anything other than 4-mans would be possible on this.
Tunngle
Lan tunneling computer application similar to xlink. Requires additional downloads. May be possible to configure to work with PS2.
GameRanger
Computer appilcation, requires additional downloads. Almost certainly won't be compatible with PS2.

Special Thanks
I just wanted to thank every person that I've talked to over the past 3 months. Not just those who worked on GameMaster, but all of the people who worked on other options or tested things with me, or even just linked me extremely important info that I wouldn't have found otherwise. In no particular order, I would like to thank:
Kalle
Kane
LeKeks
Led
Pyrojockey
Anthony_B
SG-17
FrostyHAWK
CHC
Eyes
Ashfire
Starseeker
ToaGuy
Kintaro
OldSnake
Scout
Scarz
Kratos
Mastaisac
PepsiFanatic

Last edited by Mike on Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:31 pm; edited 13 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mike
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: How to Play SWBF2 after GameSpy Shutdown   Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:29 am

Reserved for more info

Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: How to Play SWBF2 after GameSpy Shutdown   Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:28 am

Reseverd for more info

PostSubject: Re: How to Play SWBF2 after GameSpy Shutdown   Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:41 pm

Thank you Mike and everyone else for all of the hard work in researching this! I personally appreciate it. You guys have really come through this!

So it will definitely be possible to host a 24-man server at some point on this? That was my biggest worry with this.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SG-17

PostSubject: Re: How to Play SWBF2 after GameSpy Shutdown   Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:42 pm

Nice work man. So I guess that OpenSpy and FreeGST was a no-go?

i-TheDestroyer-L wrote:
Thank you Mike and everyone else for all of the hard work in researching this! I personally appreciate it. You guys have really come through this!

So it will definitely be possible to host a 24-man server at some point on this? That was my biggest worry with this.
If I am reading Mike's OP correctly, you already can. At least on your own PC. Though I don't know if Hypernia allows you to change the .exe file, Art of War did not. We might be able to get Hypernia to update it themsevles if GameSpy does ever go down.

Mike, when you say that 0=null do you mean that in the hex it should be 00 and show up as blank on the text side or should it be 30 on the hex and show up as 0 on the text? I'm still using xvi32. Which hex editor are you using?

Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: How to Play SWBF2 after GameSpy Shutdown   Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:20 am

i-TheDestroyer-L wrote:

Yes 24 mans are definitely possible, I have played on this server right here and its hosted on GameMaster:
http://www.gametracker.com/server_info/46.38.238.22:3658

SG-17 wrote:
Nice work man. So I guess that OpenSpy and FreeGST was a no-go?
I posted on the fist page FreeGST topic at SWGO, it takes a while for my posts to who up because they have to be approved by a mod of the forums first. Basically those guys don't feel like supporting PS2 because it would require some extra effort on their end. They tried to tell me its not worth supporting this platform since no one plays it (lol). Topic is here:
http://swgohome.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6297

OpenSpy is still a potential second option. They are still interested in helping us, its just that they lost their main C++ coder and have not found someone who can update OpenSpy yet. It could still work, we're just waiting on them to update it on their end.

SG-17 wrote:
If I am reading Mike's OP correctly, you already can. At least on your own PC. Though I don't know if Hypernia allows you to change the .exe file, Art of War did not. We might be able to get Hypernia to update it themsevles if GameSpy does ever go down.
Yup, you're right. PC downloaders work right now. Paid for servers I am not sure about yet. I never owned one myself so I need to find out more about how it works first. How did people use mods like the .Com server if Art of War they never let us change the .exe? Or is there a different file you mod when dealing with remote manager or something?
SG-17 wrote:
Mike, when you say that 0=null do you mean that in the hex it should be 00 and show up as blank on the text side or should it be 30 on the hex and show up as 0 on the text? I'm still using xvi32. Which hex editor are you using?
Uhhhhhh. So here's the thing about that. I didn't do any of the hex editing myself, I was just repeating what Pyrojockey told me after he edited his .exe. While I can get hex editors on my Mac, I don't think they open .exes properly. When I tried to find master.gamespy or anything I would get no results. From my understanding, those 0s are there only to make it so the entire exe is the same length at the end of the process. I think if the string lengths are off it messes with the file. So yes I think I mean it should show up as 00 on the hex editor. I'll need to ask someone with a hex editor to explain it better. Once I get a known perfect version of the .exe I can just link the download here.

Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: How to Play SWBF2 after GameSpy Shutdown   Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:59 am

Bumping this just incase we need it tomorrow.

wary 

PostSubject: Re: How to Play SWBF2 after GameSpy Shutdown   Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:29 am

Well they are still up  Neutral 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
{Delta}
Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Re: How to Play SWBF2 after GameSpy Shutdown   Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:28 pm

We have been trolled.

(MVP)

x5

x7
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Imani the Prideful

PostSubject: Re: How to Play SWBF2 after GameSpy Shutdown   Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:22 pm

So can we get some confirmation on playing after the shutdown? because the game shutdown and i'm not sure if you guys ever figured it out.

View user profile
Mike
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: How to Play SWBF2 after GameSpy Shutdown   Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:06 am

Rated*R wrote:
So can we get some confirmation on playing after the shutdown? because the game shutdown and i'm not sure if you guys ever figured it out.

This is confirmed working as of today.

PostSubject: Re: How to Play SWBF2 after GameSpy Shutdown   Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:02 am

Modded battlefrontii.exe by me:

Link: http://speedy.sh/cFhtT/BattlefrontII.exe

You can upload this to Hypernia but they will have to "review" the file before they allow the file to be uploaded.

"I think i'm gay guys" - Naga during a skype call.
"Let me suck your dick" - Naga offering me a bj after admitting that he is a queer.
"I'm fine with those quotes" - Naga after seeing these quotes.

Last edited by {BOT}A-Hole on Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:35 am; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Imani the Prideful

PostSubject: Re: How to Play SWBF2 after GameSpy Shutdown   Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:26 am

Wow danny you must REALLY love this game. RalpherZ 

View user profile
Imani the Prideful

PostSubject: Re: How to Play SWBF2 after GameSpy Shutdown   Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:29 am

So at first everything was alright with gamemaster but when we tried to switch our server (gne) back to ps2 we had to contact hypernia (via ahole); the server should have been up today. On top of that when i looked at the gamemaster site their list of servers do not include any ps2 servers. Now The void and abyss isn't showing up, I'm thinking since its a paid server you would have to contact the server provider so they can switch the files. Since all the servers that are still showing are not paid since they are hosted from their owner's computer. I won't be able to confirm this until our server shows up or not.

View user profile
Imani the Prideful

PostSubject: Re: How to Play SWBF2 after GameSpy Shutdown   Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:38 am

Sorry for the tripple post but i thought you would like to have the forums for gameshare. The moderators seem to be pretty active so. I guess the alpha for having a login system like gamespy is in alpha.

http://gameshare.co/forum/viewforum.php?f=10

View user profile
Mike
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: How to Play SWBF2 after GameSpy Shutdown   Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:26 am

Rated*R wrote:
So at first everything was alright with gamemaster but when we tried to switch our server (gne) back to ps2 we had to contact hypernia (via ahole); the server should have been up today.
What do you mean switch it back? As in put it on the old GameSpy server list or switch it from PC to PS2?
Rated*R wrote:
On top of that when i looked at the gamemaster site their list of servers do not include any ps2 servers.
PS2 servers are listed on there, but you have to go to this separate link:
http://gameshare.co/servers/game/swbfront2ps2

Rated*R wrote:
Now The void and abyss isn't showing up, I'm thinking since its a paid server you would have to contact the server provider so they can switch the files. Since all the servers that are still showing are not paid since they are hosted from their owner's computer.  I won't be able to confirm this until our server shows up or not.
I feel like its something to do with Hypernia, I am not sure if they are still gonna let us buy servers from them once payments on these current ones end. There's also a post on the GameMaster site saying there's some maintenance going on, could have to do with that.

EDIT: Big good news update I just found this post by a user named CharlieM over on the GameMaster website!
CharlieM wrote:
Hi,
An update with good news from Hypernia/Purepings. They are allowing your patch and the FreeGST patch to be used on the SWBF2 servers they rent out. It has been issued as a game update on their server control panel and is a simple dropdown and click fix. Happy gaming all and thanks!

PostSubject: Re: How to Play SWBF2 after GameSpy Shutdown   Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:40 pm

Have servers actually switched over to the new master list even though GameSpy still isn't down?

Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: How to Play SWBF2 after GameSpy Shutdown   Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:56 pm

SG-17 wrote:
Have servers actually switched over to the new master list even though GameSpy still isn't down?

GameMaster actually lists all the servers that were running on GameSpy on their list too. If GameSpy keeps their list up, hosts might not need to change anything at this rate, because GameMaster combines the lists into one. But I am not sure who is using the new .exe to host and who's still using the default one.

PostSubject: Re: How to Play SWBF2 after GameSpy Shutdown   Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:02 pm

Yeah, we were switching the server from pc to ps2 again; ahole has been talking to them i guess so they finally decided to mod the files and it should be up today. Hopefully it works out.

View user profile
SG-17

PostSubject: Re: How to Play SWBF2 after GameSpy Shutdown   Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:06 pm

I just changed my DNS and got the test server to show up and I can join it. Will we be having our own GM server?

PostSubject: Re: How to Play SWBF2 after GameSpy Shutdown   Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:19 am

Hypernia stopped supporting swbf2 for the ps2, but they allowed the patch on pc.....sooo unless there's another company that supports bf2 for ps2..its goodbye paid for servers

"Let me suck your dick" - Naga offering me a bj after admitting that he is a queer.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SG-17

PostSubject: Re: How to Play SWBF2 after GameSpy Shutdown   Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:08 pm

You could always just rent hosting space and run the server on it.

Otherwise for a game as old as SWBF2 any modern PC with a high bandwidth connection (50mbs down/20mbs up) should allow the hoster to play and host perfectly fine. Just as good as a paid host.

PostSubject: Re: How to Play SWBF2 after GameSpy Shutdown   Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:23 pm

WE NEED GLOCKSMG

Back to top Go down
View user profile
IcemaN
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostSubject: Re: How to Play SWBF2 after GameSpy Shutdown   Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:41 pm

I just attempted to order a swbf2 ps2 server from hypernia and it was going to let me rent one so if they dropped it and are still selling the servers then um.. law suit? lol

Edit: I have been emailing with hypernia. They asked if we intended on using GameMaster to replace gamespy and said they are considering supporting us

x6
x7

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to Play SWBF2 after GameSpy Shutdown   

Back to top Go down

How to Play SWBF2 after GameSpy Shutdown
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next