HomePortalSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterFAQLog in
Latest topics
» New Site!
Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:31 pm by Mike

» Are You Guys Excited for the New Site!?
Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:02 am by Mike

» New Force Awakens trailer released!
Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:40 am by i-TheDestroyer-L

» Happy Birthday!!!~~~
Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:09 am by Guest

» Basic necessities for Battlefront
Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:09 pm by SG-17

» Infected and Boss
Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:11 am by Rugal

» Admin Changes
Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:14 am by Splinter

» DoomGaze
Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:47 am by Desperado

Top posters
{Delta}

Kratos

{BOT}A-Hole

Stern

Phantom

{ѕтя}σвℓινιση

Mike

Fir3hazard

SG-17

IcemaN

Share | 

How to Play SWBF2 after GameSpy Shutdown

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Mike
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: How to Play SWBF2 after GameSpy Shutdown   Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:57 pm

IcemaN wrote:

Edit: I have been emailing with hypernia. They asked if we intended on using GameMaster to replace gamespy and said they are considering supporting us

That's good news. I think we should be fine if they are ok with PC servers using the mod, its the same exact thing on PS2 so they shouldn't have a problem with it if they are being reasonable.

Site Staff
Site Staff

PostSubject: Re: How to Play SWBF2 after GameSpy Shutdown   Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:09 am

So far it's looking good. This is exactly what they said
Quote :

We have considered it, but unfortunately we are uncertain at this stage if we will be able to support it.

Are you looking to use GameShare/GameMasters for to handle Gamespy or another one you found?

x6
x7

Back to top Go down
View user profile
{BOT}TROOPER

PostSubject: Re: How to Play SWBF2 after GameSpy Shutdown   Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:07 am

Any good news? king

{Delta}
Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Re: How to Play SWBF2 after GameSpy Shutdown   Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:35 am

Does anyone know where the BattlefrontII.exe for PS2 is? I tried downloading the one on the site, but it doesn't seem to be working, I'm assuming that's because it's the PC one?

(MVP)

x5

x7
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SG-17

PostSubject: Re: How to Play SWBF2 after GameSpy Shutdown   Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:43 am

They are the same. You need to create a shortcut to the server manager exe and add -ps2 in the pathway after the quotation marks. This tells the server manager to open as a ps2 server.

PostSubject: Re: How to Play SWBF2 after GameSpy Shutdown   Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:11 pm

Well boys, Kratos tried to contact Hypernia, and unfortunately they refuse to use any modded/fixed game files in their servers. If we want to run any more tournaments or ladders on SWBF2 they're gonna have to be on a good downloaded server. Preferably someone who has access to a server/supercomputer and nasty good internet. Mike is trying to contact Pyrojockey, but we may need other options.
Back to top Go down
SG-17

PostSubject: Re: How to Play SWBF2 after GameSpy Shutdown   Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:11 pm

You won't need a super computer. Just a decent gaming PC. We'll actually anything with at least 4gb of ram and an i5 or higher will be more than fine. Remember this is 2005 software.

Though you're right about connection. You need a stellar ping (less than 30 ms average) and a good upload speed with nothing else sapping your bandwidth. 5mbps upload should be enough if you don't want to play too, triple it if you want to play. Download is pretty much fine at 15mbps Faster is always better of course.

PostSubject: Re: How to Play SWBF2 after GameSpy Shutdown   Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:18 pm

Well yes a server can be hosted from a good gaming computer. Still, a super computer or a server would work better as they're not turned off as often as someone's personal computer.

I really don't know of anyone off the top of my head who can run a server with those kind of numbers other than Pyrojockey. Hopefully we can find someone... not looking for anything perfect, just something to be able to run the ladder on.
Back to top Go down
khaos-rage

PostSubject: Re: How to Play SWBF2 after GameSpy Shutdown   Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:17 am

I would suggest a Windows VPS (www.nfoservers.com) would probably be the only way to get a good connection other than what SG-17 mentioned.

About $25 gets:
   Two full, dedicated HT CPU cores (Nehalem or better)
   2048 MB of RAM
   200 GB of RAID-protected storage
   4000 GB of InterNAP bandwidth transfer

And you can add ram for $5 per Gb.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: How to Play SWBF2 after GameSpy Shutdown   Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:41 am

A lot of that went over my head lol, sorry for my ignorance. So through this site we could put up a 24 man swbf2 server through their host for $25 a month?
Back to top Go down
khaos-rage

PostSubject: Re: How to Play SWBF2 after GameSpy Shutdown   Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:21 pm

Yeah basically that's what I'm saying. They give you Remote Desktop access to the vps and then you could download and install the SWBF2 Server. Since it's only function is to run the server I think 2Gb of ram should be enough.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
{Delta}
Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Re: How to Play SWBF2 after GameSpy Shutdown   Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:26 pm

SG-17 wrote:
They are the same. You need to create a shortcut to the server manager exe and add -ps2 in the pathway after the quotation marks. This tells the server manager to open as a ps2 server.

How would I go about this?  I contacted Dracula and he said he did the modify hosts option, but I cannot seem to get this to work. I just tested it, my server manager does work correctly, however it is loading up as a PC server (on gamemasters lists).

(MVP)

x5

x7
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SG-17

PostSubject: Re: How to Play SWBF2 after GameSpy Shutdown   Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:41 pm

Okay, make a shortcut to the server manager exe. Right click the shortcut and click Properties. Look for a text box that says Target. Go to the very end of the text in that box, make a space after the last parenthesis and type -ps2 . Apply and close. Now use the shortcut to launch the server manager. It should now say PS2 in the bottom bar.

Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Re: How to Play SWBF2 after GameSpy Shutdown   Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:51 pm

Ok...this is what I got

Appears to still be loading up on the PC server list though...
http://gameshare.co/servers/game/swbfront2pc/7

(MVP)

x5

x7
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SG-17

PostSubject: Re: How to Play SWBF2 after GameSpy Shutdown   Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:29 pm

I'll upload my server files when I get home. Mine works fine, maybe it's your exes.

Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Re: How to Play SWBF2 after GameSpy Shutdown   Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:24 am

Hmm...ok thanks. If you can put them in a drop box that'd be awesome - or something of the sort.

(MVP)

x5

x7
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SG-17

PostSubject: Re: How to Play SWBF2 after GameSpy Shutdown   Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:37 pm

Heres the BattlefrontII.exe.

https://www.sendspace.com/file/zmcroh

Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Re: How to Play SWBF2 after GameSpy Shutdown   Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:07 am

You are seriously the man.

(MVP)

x5

x7
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SG-17

PostSubject: Re: How to Play SWBF2 after GameSpy Shutdown   Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:51 am

If you do end up setting up a server through the remote desktop servers that Khaos suggested (or have a really good connection) be sure to turn the Bandwidth Limit to 6mbps and the Host Simulation Rate to 30. That should help cut down lag immensely.

Bandwidth is obvious and Host Simulate Rate is what is known now as Tickrate. The times per second that the server sends updates to the client. Competitive games like CounterStrike run typically between 60 and 120 tickrate because they need pixel perfect accuracy. Battlefield 4 after that big patch that came with Dragon's Teeth DLC increased the default tickrate from 10 to 30. If you've been playing since launch you'd have notice a major improvement in lag.

PostSubject: Re: How to Play SWBF2 after GameSpy Shutdown   

Back to top Go down

How to Play SWBF2 after GameSpy Shutdown
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2