HomePortalSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterFAQLog in
Latest topics
» New Site!
Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:31 pm by Mike

» Are You Guys Excited for the New Site!?
Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:02 am by Mike

» New Force Awakens trailer released!
Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:40 am by i-TheDestroyer-L

» Happy Birthday!!!~~~
Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:09 am by Guest

» Basic necessities for Battlefront
Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:09 pm by SG-17

» Infected and Boss
Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:11 am by Rugal

» Admin Changes
Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:14 am by Splinter

» DoomGaze
Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:47 am by Desperado

Top posters
{Delta}

Kratos

{BOT}A-Hole

Stern

Phantom

{ѕтя}σвℓινιση

Mike

Fir3hazard

SG-17

IcemaN

Share | 

Possible expansion into PC with SWBF2

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Mezzey

PostSubject: Possible expansion into PC with SWBF2   Sat May 04, 2013 11:44 pm

So we all enjoy SWBF2 to an extent, hence why we're still here despite how old the game has become. While I still enjoy playing on the PS2 we all know that it's far from perfect. My suggestion is that for anyone who would be willing to try and could potentially expand ourselves would be to try SWBF2 for the PC. It is currently on sale on steam for $3.39 ans seen HERE, and is just as good, if not better than it's PS2 counterpart.

Connection is more stable/consistent and of course you can use the same gamespy account you use on the PS2 (Though I can't remember atm if friends list tranfers over if that matters to anyone). The other advantage is that it also opens us up to maps beyond the originals including those featured in the first game that we enjoyed as well (i.e. Rhen Var and Bespin). Of course the downside to that is making sure everyone making sure they have the same mods installed but is also still completely option if we just want to stick with the vanilla version.

So what are peoples thoughts? Yes? No? Why? Why not?

I think it's a worth trying and right now it's on sale for a very reasonable price. Or if you're broke I'm sure you can probably torrent it from somewhere.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
warri

PostSubject: Re: Possible expansion into PC with SWBF2   Sun May 05, 2013 12:27 am

you can't play online without original cdkey though

also steam version is already patched to 1.1 patch (which has only couple of noob servers and much less players) all the good players are/used to be on 1.0 patch

Also the game is different to ps2 version, sniper has more ammo and less delay between shots and rocketeer's rocket damage radius is much smaller so its harder to kill with it, not even mentioning that "good" pc players are only campers xD

Not caring about any of that, you might have fun xD
Back to top Go down
View user profile
-Syler-
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostSubject: Re: Possible expansion into PC with SWBF2   Sun May 05, 2013 12:50 am

Even with all those differences. I think it's worth a shot. We would get to see some PC style, while PC gets to see some PS2 style. Even if it's just for 1 Season. We'd definately make PC more active with it, plus we could maybe get some people to get a PS2. Either way the BFC is happening, so this could be a positive or negative depending on how much of a reaction we get on PC.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://ruthlessgaming.enjin.com
Mike
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Possible expansion into PC with SWBF2   Sun May 05, 2013 2:08 am

In my opinion, I dislike playing multiplayer first/ third person shooter games on PC, simply because having a mouse as a opposed to a joystick for aiming is a joke to me.

As for the idea as a whole however, if you guys wanna use this BFC site to organize some PC SWBF2 stuff, go for it. We can set you up another section of the forums if you can get stuff going and maybe some of our community could see some of the PC community and vice-versa. No harm could come from it, but we certainly won't be moving the entire BFC Season onto a different platform anytime soon.

PostSubject: Re: Possible expansion into PC with SWBF2   Sun May 05, 2013 3:08 am

Mike wrote:
In my opinion, I dislike playing multiplayer first/ third person shooter games on PC, simply because having a mouse as a opposed to a joystick for aiming is a joke to me.

Now that is just down right ignorant. It is called motion joy.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
-Syler-
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostSubject: Re: Possible expansion into PC with SWBF2   Sun May 05, 2013 3:19 am

You can use MotionJoy to simply hook up your PS3 controller to your computer through your charging cord. Almost everyone who plays PS2 Jedi and PC uses it, since they're used to the controller. Fire and I could give you a step by step to set it up if you would like. But of course, you'd have to first buy the game to be able to play online.
Back to top Go down
Stern
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostSubject: Re: Possible expansion into PC with SWBF2   Sun May 05, 2013 5:18 am

Is it better to use mouse and keyboard or a USB controller to play? Can you get by on wireless connection, or do you need wired? How much memory does it eat up?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mezzey

PostSubject: Re: Possible expansion into PC with SWBF2   Sun May 05, 2013 5:22 am

-Syler- wrote:
You can use MotionJoy to simply hook up your PS3 controller to your computer through your charging cord. Almost everyone who plays PS2 Jedi and PC uses it, since they're used to the controller. Fire and I could give you a step by step to set it up if you would like. But of course, you'd have to first buy the game to be able to play online.

I believe you could also use an xbox controller as well if you prefer that over a PS3 controller. Either way, just because you're on PC doesn't mean you're restricted to just a Mouse and Keyboard.

Also this doesn't mean we have to alter the PS2 side of things at all. This just gives us an oppurtunity to bring life back into the game for us and others who still enjoy the game. Also, I'm pretty sure everyone plays on at least the v1.1 since that's what it defaults to when purchased via Steam. It's also a lot more stable in terms of functionality and connectivity.

Here's those patch notes if those who are curious as to what they entail:
SWBF2 v1.1 Patch Notes

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mike
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Possible expansion into PC with SWBF2   Sun May 05, 2013 10:15 am

Demon_Blade wrote:
Now that is just down right ignorant. It is called motion joy.

I think you guys got me backwards. I'm not saying that using a mouse and keyboard would be bad or annoying for me, I'm saying its too easy. To me its just 'click on the bad guys' and I personally don't really enjoy that.

But like I said, we can help out by letting u guys get organized on these forums if you like.

PostSubject: Re: Possible expansion into PC with SWBF2   Sun May 05, 2013 12:19 pm

I play(ed) both 1.0 and 1.1 for around 3 years occasionally, and 1.1 has usually 1-2 servers with 99% of players being noobs. swgo server is kind of like official server in usa. 1.0 still had around 10 full servers a day (I checked like 1 month ago though) and many of players were good (if your definition of good is camping for 1 hour) but still theyre atleast hard to kill

Another thing worth mentioning is that controller is like 100 times less sensitive than mouse even if you use highest controller sensitivity. So mouse+kb players will always have advantage over you.

Oh and I forgot, I didn't notice a single different thing in terms of connectivity or whatever. 1.1 actually had a bug once that command posts and players on a map and mini map appeared on different places, that was pretty confusing.

I don't recommend steam version if it's 1.1 patch (unless you have 1.0 version battlefront.exe that you can use to play on 1.0)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SG-17

PostSubject: Re: Possible expansion into PC with SWBF2   Sun May 05, 2013 5:47 pm

Stern wrote:
Is it better to use mouse and keyboard or a USB controller to play? Can you get by on wireless connection, or do you need wired? How much memory does it eat up?
Even a generic modern laptop can run SWBF2 just fine. It doesn't take much honestly. A low end gaming PC running a 6870 can max it out with 60fps.

PostSubject: Re: Possible expansion into PC with SWBF2   Sun May 05, 2013 6:14 pm

Or you can just buy the disk from Ebay or Amazon for like 5 dollars with the actual CD key

"I think i'm gay guys" - Naga during a skype call.
"Let me suck your dick" - Naga offering me a bj after admitting that he is a queer.
"I'm fine with those quotes" - Naga after seeing these quotes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mezzey

PostSubject: Re: Possible expansion into PC with SWBF2   Sun May 05, 2013 7:11 pm

Warri wrote:
Another thing worth mentioning is that controller is like 100 times less sensitive than mouse even if you use highest controller sensitivity. So mouse+kb players will always have advantage over you.

For the PC version you can adjust the sensitivity of the controller to be just as responsive as if you were using a mouse. Using my PS3 controller via motionjoy I noticed how much easier it can be to aim since the PS2 version's highest is probably the PC version's lowest. I have played against many others on PC and faired just as well, if not better, against PC players they are probably using a mouse and keyboard. No one's stopping you from using either, it's all preference.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
warri

PostSubject: Re: Possible expansion into PC with SWBF2   Sun May 05, 2013 7:13 pm

I've been playing on 10 sensitivity on PC for long and it's slower than on ps2, also sprinting is not as fast as ps2
Back to top Go down
View user profile
{Delta}
Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Re: Possible expansion into PC with SWBF2   Sun May 05, 2013 9:52 pm

Not opposed to hosting things if we had interest.

(MVP)

x5

x7
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mezzey

PostSubject: Re: Possible expansion into PC with SWBF2   Sun May 05, 2013 11:37 pm

Warri wrote:
I've been playing on 10 sensitivity on PC for long and it's slower than on ps2, also sprinting is not as fast as ps2

Then that has to do with how you've configured your controls, not the game. Also, there is no difference between sprinting on PC and PS2 unless you can post a video that shows otherwise. Either way I hardly see it as a gamebreaker.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
warri

PostSubject: Re: Possible expansion into PC with SWBF2   Mon May 06, 2013 12:49 am

not trying to discourage you about pc ver, just saying what are the differences, and sprint takes like 1 second more to start but that might be only with controller

about sensitivity I tried to set it higher in motionjoy but it was buggy sometimes it didnt work and sometimes the aiming was really awkward
Back to top Go down
View user profile
wow

PostSubject: Re: Possible expansion into PC with SWBF2   Mon May 06, 2013 3:13 am

MotionJoy is shit. It hijacks the fuck outta your drivers and is near impossible to get rid of. When I got a new mouse it was reading it as motionjoy and I had to manually go through and delete drivers for an hour to get rid of it even after uninstalling.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mezzey

PostSubject: Re: Possible expansion into PC with SWBF2   Mon May 06, 2013 8:05 am

wow2 wrote:
MotionJoy is shit. It hijacks the fuck outta your drivers and is near impossible to get rid of. When I got a new mouse it was reading it as motionjoy and I had to manually go through and delete drivers for an hour to get rid of it even after uninstalling.

MotinoJoy is just one method for if you wanted to use the PS3 controller. There's other ways if you'd rather not use it.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fir3hazard

PostSubject: Re: Possible expansion into PC with SWBF2   Mon May 06, 2013 6:42 pm

Using a ps3 controller for pc is considered a handicap. Just get used to the pc controls, it's worth it in the long run.
Back to top Go down
warri

PostSubject: Re: Possible expansion into PC with SWBF2   Mon May 06, 2013 6:46 pm

I guess that's one of the reasons some still choose ps2 over pc, I definitely prefer ps2 controls and the "feel" it's unique to pc
Back to top Go down
View user profile
-Syler-
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostSubject: Re: Possible expansion into PC with SWBF2   Tue May 07, 2013 5:55 am

I've talked to JOG about this, since a lot of them play PC now. They said to use a controller for PC Jedi Force and mouse/keyboard for no force or Conquest.
Back to top Go down
Mezzey

PostSubject: Re: Possible expansion into PC with SWBF2   Sun May 12, 2013 4:55 am

So overall, how many people here who play on the PS2 would also be willing to give it a shot on the PC?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
{Delta}
Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Re: Possible expansion into PC with SWBF2   Sun May 12, 2013 9:35 pm

I honestly am unsure of my internet situation as is, I probably wouldn't.

(MVP)

x5

x7
Back to top Go down
View user profile
{Delta}
Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Re: Possible expansion into PC with SWBF2   Tue May 14, 2013 11:08 pm

Sorry Mezzy, the interest just doesn't look that high.

(MVP)

x5

x7
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Possible expansion into PC with SWBF2   

Back to top Go down

Possible expansion into PC with SWBF2
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next