HomePortalSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterFAQLog in
Latest topics
» New Site!
Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:31 pm by Mike

» Are You Guys Excited for the New Site!?
Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:02 am by Mike

» New Force Awakens trailer released!
Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:40 am by i-TheDestroyer-L

» Happy Birthday!!!~~~
Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:45 am by Dark

» Basic necessities for Battlefront
Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:09 pm by SG-17

» Infected and Boss
Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:11 am by Rugal

» Admin Changes
Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:14 am by Splinter

» DoomGaze
Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:47 am by Desperado

Top posters
{Delta}

Kratos

{BOT}A-Hole

Stern

Phantom

{ѕтя}σвℓινιση

Mike

Fir3hazard

SG-17

IcemaN

Share | 

Post to the OpenSpy Guys about playing after May 31st

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Mike
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Post to the OpenSpy Guys about playing after May 31st   Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:49 pm

I just wanted to make a longer post here explaining in more detail to the Openspy guys what I did for the PS2 SWBF2 network packets they requested. Twitter limits what I can say to just 140 and I can't work with that for this stuff. I believe this information needs to get to CHC, whose the person that codes OpenSpy.

I have tried to make an account on this site:
http://www.ps2onlinegaming.com/forum/
But I need an admin to activate my account so I couldn't post this info there. Let me know if you guys know who I should contact to get an account on that site.

Alright onto what I did, basically I followed this guide:
http://www.ps2onlinegaming.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1256

I downloaded the Mac version of Wireshark from http://www.wireshark.org/download.html

I then used Wireshark version 1.10.6 and I was able to play SWBF2 from my PS2 hooked up to my Macbook using a regular ethernet wire (not a crossover cable). While I was doing this I had the Wireshark program record a list of all the information that my PS2 sent to DNAS and Gamespy.

Here's what I did in the recording in exact order:

• Started Wireshark packet capture
  • Turned on PS2
  • Started up Star Wars Battlefront 2 and went into online mode
  • Got to the GameSpy login screen
  • Created new account under the name Mike4Real with the same email and password that I always use
  • Went to the server list
  • Refreshed it once (I think)
  • Joined the passworded LSJ server (which was empty at the time)
  • Played one map of Mos Eisley, I just capped all the bases since no one else was playing
  • Loaded the next map, which was Coruscant
  • Quit the server
  • Logged out of online mode
  • Shut off PS2
  • Stopped Wireshark packet recording

I then saved the packet log as a .pcapng file and that file can be downloaded here:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/0edd0j

I know the guide I used told me to upload it as a .pcap file but Wireshark would't let me save the same log with a different extension after I had finished. If I need to do it again and have that type of file its easy enough though, just need to let me know.

Anyway, I tired to be as specific as possible in listing what I did because it seems that knowing what the PS2 was doing at the time it was sending a certain packet to be a very important factor in getting game to work on OpenSpy. If you guys at OpenSpy would prefer shorter captures with me just doing one or two actions and recording that, I can do that too.

Lastly, there's another post on www.ps2onlinegaming.com, where another user has also logged packets from SWBF2. He has a .rar archive which had lots of files of him doing a bunch of specific things like adding buddies and viewing the leaderboard. His packet files can be found on this post:
http://www.ps2onlinegaming.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1250

EDIT: everybody else here can ignore this, but I just wanted to keep all my thoughts and info in one place, if this works we're also gonna need to do a small mod on our server remote manager .exe files, but I think someone has already done that though. I'll update this with news from Eyes Only, CHC, and the other people working on this too.

PostSubject: Re: Post to the OpenSpy Guys about playing after May 31st   Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:44 pm

Even though I understand absolutely nothing here, I really want to thank Mike and the other guys working on this trying to save this game.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
{Delta}
Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Re: Post to the OpenSpy Guys about playing after May 31st   Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:38 pm

Seriously - Mike any update?

(MVP)

x5

x7
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mike
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Post to the OpenSpy Guys about playing after May 31st   Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:25 am

{Delta} wrote:
Seriously - Mike any update?
Not yet, I need to tweet at the OpenSpy guys again to make sure they have this information.

Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Post to the OpenSpy Guys about playing after May 31st   Thu May 01, 2014 9:58 am

Update, as of the changes OpenSpy made yesterday, we can now host 4-mans without it crashing to a black screen. Also I am able to log into my original GameSpy ID Mike, but my buddies list becomes all random numbers, and it says the leaderboard is unavailable. This is progress though. Before I would have to enter without logging in I think.

There is still a problem with being able to see other people's servers from the list though. This is only an assumption, but I don't think OpenSpy is sending the server list to our PS2s properly since when we tell our consoles to get the list, they just sit at 0%.

I'm going to do more packet captures in a bit.

Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Post to the OpenSpy Guys about playing after May 31st   Thu May 01, 2014 10:32 am

Since the update they made, OpenSpy now allows us to host 4-mans from our PS2s without crashing. FrostyHAWK, one of the guys who runs OpenSpy, asked me to do a comparison test between OpenSpy and GameSpy, since they updated some things since my last capture. I'm gonna do my best to have all the same steps so here we go...
This time I was able to do .pcap files like the guide asks for, I hope that's good.

GameSpy Joining a Server Packets
DOWNLOAD PACKET FILE HERE--> http://www.sendspace.com/file/93hp79

• Turned on PS2
  • Selected my default DNS network settings
  • Entered without logging in
  • Loading server list
  • Observed 100%
  • Refreshed the server list once
  • Observed 100% again
  • Joined SWBFII Official Server (it was empty)
  • Played one life on Mustafar
  • Left Server
  • Shut off PS2
  • Stopped recording on Wireshark

OpenSpy Trying to Join a Server Packets
DOWNLOAD PACKET FILE HERE--> http://www.sendspace.com/file/u9kj7c

• Turned on PS2
  • Selected my OpenSpy DNS network settings, which are:
    Primary DNS IP: 99.198.122.113 Secondary DNS IP: 208.67.222.222
  • Entered without logging in
  • Loading server list
  • Observed 0%
  • Refreshed the server list once
  • Observed 0% again
  • There are no servers on the list
  • Shut off PS2
  • Stopped recording on Wireshark

I think the problem is that our PS2's are trying to fetch the server list from Openspy, and it isn't properly configured to send the list yet. This is evident from the percentages that the PS2 gives during the time it retrieves the list. On default GameSpy it hits 100% and sits there for a bit before showing the list. On OpenSpy it shows 0% and stays stuck on that for about 30 seconds before it shows an empty list. Is the list actually empty or is it just not receiving the list at all?

Now that hosting from a PS2 works on OpenSpy without crashing as of yesterday, I can also test that for you guys too. Just let me know what you need. I want to focus on getting servers to a joinable state before we start looking at logging into GameSpy IDs, buddy lists, or leaderboards. This is why I keep choosing "enter without logging in" for all these tests I'm doing.

PostSubject: Re: Post to the OpenSpy Guys about playing after May 31st   Mon May 05, 2014 4:36 am

I assume that you will try to get OpenSpy configured to actually send server info to PS2s before you figure out how to get dedicated servers to communicate with OpenSpy. Have you heard anything about it?

Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Post to the OpenSpy Guys about playing after May 31st   Tue May 06, 2014 8:22 am

SG-17 wrote:
I assume that you will try to get OpenSpy configured to actually send server info to PS2s before you figure out how to get dedicated servers to communicate with OpenSpy. Have you heard anything about it?

Yea, basically being able to join/see 4-mans on the list is the next step to focus on. After that works we can figure out how to mod our Remote manger .exe files to put them up on the OpenSpy list instead of the GameSpy one.

I haven't heard back from them yet but I assume they are currently using the packet info I supplied to FrostyHawk to get OpenSpy configured properly. If they need more packets from hosting rather than joining, I plan to do that next. Then, if we get it up and running I can give them a packet log from the leaderboard and buddies system stuff too. We're waiting on them and Eyes Only at the moment I believe.

Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Re: Post to the OpenSpy Guys about playing after May 31st   Thu May 15, 2014 8:55 am

Any update? (We don't need to tell them EA is keeping the servers going for another month.)

(MVP)

x5

x7
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mike
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Post to the OpenSpy Guys about playing after May 31st   Thu May 15, 2014 9:50 am

{Delta} wrote:
Any update? (We don't need to tell them EA is keeping the servers going for another month.)
The last thing that happened was them posting this video:

I recently learned that OpenSpy and what Eyes is working on may now be 2 separate things.

Also I wouldn't go by that post from EA.
http://www.ea.com/1/service-updates
I doubt they know what's going on as they have listed SWBF1 on that list as well. I haven't checked recently but if that post is accurate, SWBF1 might be back up for those who got the patch. It just doesn't make sense that EA would have control over this but its possible. Everyone should still assume May 31st.

Antony_b has also done a ton more packet capture for servers. We have the information to give to them about SWBF2 we just need them to get their C++ guy to configure it.

Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Post to the OpenSpy Guys about playing after May 31st   Thu May 29, 2014 8:27 am

Alright so some new stuff is happening, but this is the main news:
http://swgohome.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6275

I also want to point out that OpenSpy, what Eyes is working on, and GameMaster are all separate things now. We will just use whichever one is the easiest (just changing 2 numbers). Also we could make a couple different network configurations to connect to different server lists if it gets to that point.

Gonna put these here too, this is the code for these programs that will pretend to be GameSpy, anyone that knows C++ should definitely look at them if they want to help out, the bottom one is newer:
https://github.com/sfcspanky/Openspy-Core
https://github.com/Masaq-/Openspy-Core

PostSubject: Re: Post to the OpenSpy Guys about playing after May 31st   

Back to top Go down

Post to the OpenSpy Guys about playing after May 31st
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1